My baby Babycakes

My baby Babycakes
My baby Babycakes

Monday, December 20, 2010

cancelled (postoned, really)

I just got a call from my surgeon with the worst possible news-he's come down with the flu, vomiting and diarrhea and cannot do surgery tomorrow.  He said he's very sorry but just not humanly possible to do an 8 hour surgery in the morning.  I do understand but at the moment am just freaking the hell out and don't know how I'll possibly get thru this.  My folks drove all the way out here, booked a hotel for the week, changed ALL the holiday plans and now we have to turn around and go home tomorrow.  I can't stop crying.  I called my parents room (we're in a hotel tonight) and my dad came over and was very calm and tried to help me calm down.  It really will be better later, and the surgeon will be there the whole time instead of his partner caring for me like was planned for this week.  Its just SO incredibly frustrating and I'm completely overwhelmed.
  

Now it's Thrusday and have had a few days to digest all of this craziness.  When I got that call from Dr. Moser (the pancreatic surgeon) I was in shock and said something like "Soooo,  I just go home then?" He was so sick he had to end the conversation to run to the bathroom.  I suppose I'm lucky he didn't come down with the flu 12 hrs. later, at 9:30am, 2 hours into a 9 hr. surgery.  (actually that was my mom's worry, but I  agreed with and wondered about that one myself) I was just crying and rocking back and forth sitting on the bed.  I just felt helpless and scared.  My father really did try to help me calm down immediately after the phone call, and his usual calm demeanor helped me a bit.  I realized I was more worried about how the postponement would affect my parents, people set up to feed the cat and others.  My parents assured me that it was not a problem for them, tho it was not pleasant for anyone, it was just a freak occurrence.  It was obviously not my fault and beyond my control.   We will figure everything out and just do it all over again.  I have to wait till Moser's PA/assistant, Jennifer, comes back to work on Monday to re-schedule it.,   I'm now glad surgery will be in 2011.  As long as everything goes as planned for the surgery I will be feeling better for the year 2011, I have high hopes for this upcoming year...                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment