My baby Babycakes

My baby Babycakes
My baby Babycakes

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Two nights in Philly

Just a really quick note tonight because I am exhausted..   I spent the last 2 nights in Jefferson Hospital in Philly and its really impossible to get any decent sleep in the hospital.  I caught the train in Lansdale very early Tuesday morning, thanks to my awesome dad who picked me up at home and drove me there, rode to Market East and walked 3 cold blocks to Jefferson.  I was scheduled for an ERCP to place a stent in my pancreas at 7:30am.  Dr. Moser (surgeon at Pitt) requested Dr. Kowalski place the stent a week before surgery to help open the duct.  An ERCP is an outpatient procedure, normally, but as you know by now, I'm definitely not normal.  The resident doc going over info pre-procedure told me there is a 5% chance of pancreatitis from an ERCP.  I suppose those stats are for those "normal" people, but I and my other cranky panky buddies experience pancreatitis flare-ups around 50% of the time after an ERCP.  So, while optimistic things would go well, I still packed a bag in case they kept me overnight.  Even tho I was given Zofran for nausea and Dilaudid for pain before I even woke up I still came to with horrible pain and nausea, and was vomiting within an hour.  Obviously, I was admitted for the night.  The next morning Dr. Kowalski said I could likely go home, that he knows I'm good at managing my disease at home and smart enough to know when to come back to the hospital if needed.  However, by late afternoon I'd not seen him or other Dr.s, had my nurse page him and he said I really should stay one more night so I could have adequate pain relief and try solid food in the morning.  I woke up in a lot of pain but tried not to ask for Dilaudid since I was determined to go home.  Had a bit of oatmeal for breakfast.  So eating food and not asking for much pain relief got me a ticket home today!  My folks came to the big city to get me, just as it started snowing, which made for a long, slow ride home.  
Now I'm home, had a long, hot shower and I'm sitting in bed with the Babycakes curled up next to me, purring away.  I will be going to sleep soon, which is a rarity for a nite owl like me.  Oh, and I had the best roommate ever in the hospital!  Her name is April, she's about my age and was in for a stricture in her colon.  Since I have a stricture in my pancreas we became "stricture buddies".    We swapped info and will keep in touch.  It was just so nice to have someone to talk to and who understands life with a chronic illness (she has Ulcerative Colitis).   Plus in 6 years in and out of hospitals I've had some wacky roommates here and there, but that's a story for another day.  April and I talked a lot about losing friends to chronic illness.  I know people give up on us after canceling plans many times, not showing up to outings, even not feeling up to talking on the phone, but we still really need friends.  That's my thought for the day, not exactly a tip, but hang on to your friends, no matter how distant they get, that's when they need you the most.  
Thanks so very very much to all of you who still are here for me, I love and appreciate you all!
 

5 comments:

  1. that is good to hear Lara I am glad that you are home. Last time I was in the hospital was the first time I ever had a roommate she was AWFUL!!! Coughed all night and was in there for a lung infection but would drink milk like I have never seen before and and it would make her cough even more. To top it off she got busted smoking a cigarette in our bathroom.... YUCK

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and that comment was from your Cranky panky sister, Adrienne about the bad roommate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about losing. Friends. ;(

    Manoi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are home sweetie. You've suffered so much. What a dummy that intern was!! My former doctor didn't want to do a ERCP on me precisely because he said there was a HIGH probability of my having another acute attack. Duh!

    I, too, have "lost" friends because of the pancreatitis...I guess at times I seem like Eeyore. I don't want to be, but it is what it is. I've also GAINED some very wonderful friends like you and my other Cranky Panky Sisters and my Mary. I don't know what I'd do without you. :-) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. all my love, lara. hoping you can make it to feastivus tonight!

    ReplyDelete